Troopys (and Bushcampers): why split rims?

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 16:31
ThreadID: 98857 Views:12681 Replies:8 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
The earlier thread about tyre pressures included a link to Adam Plate's tyre pressure graphic:click here to see the graphic

I found that interesting because he is critical of the tyre/wheel set-up on Britz's Troopy-based Bushcampers. That's the vehicle I used during my 2008 visit. =) In particular, he describes their split rims and tube tires as poor-performing and unreliable. I didn't reduce my pressures during my trip, but of course I also didn't tackle any really rough tracks or deep sand. I also had no tyre problems during my trip.

This led me to do a little research about these split rims. After reading about them, and the hazards of working with them, the more I wonder why Toyota uses them? With particular regard to pressure, numerous sources include statements such as: "Under-inflated tires on multi-piece or split rim wheels may be re-inflated while the wheel is on the vehicle only when pressure has not dropped below 80% of the recommended pressure."

I drop the pressure on my own 4WD (tubeless BFG AT's on one-piece alloy rims) as low as 15 PSI cold for some situations. Then when I'm done I simply pull out the compressor and air them back up. As I understand it, this could not be done safely with the split rims/tube tires as on the Troopy.

There must be some advantage to the split rims/tube tires? Or some reason why Toyota went with them?

One other note regarding Adam's graphic. I've always been advised to run the same pressure front and rear. He advocates equalizing the footprint front and rear, which often means running quite different pressures front and rear.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 16:45

Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 16:45
Might have something to do with what the vehicles are used for, a hammer and tyre levers are all you need to change a tyre on a split rim... much easier than changing a standard beaded tyre.

If you had the luxury of tyre changing equipment then a beaded tyre is easier.

Most split rimmed vehicles are used in remote places like cattle stations and mining leases/sites where split rims are easier.

Give me a tubeless tyre anyday for remote travelling.... plug and go.... stuff pulling out tubes and repairing them.
AnswerID: 497912

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 18:27

Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 18:27
Hi Candace, I swapped my Troopy's split rims for tubeless but I won't try to develop the argument for that here.

What I do suggest is that you read what Mick Hutton (Beadell Tours) has to say on his website, here.
The link is specifically about tubeless versus split rims. It is a pretty extensive treatise but if you don't want to wade through all of it, then scroll to the end where Mick gives his "My Thoughts in Short."

Mick spends about 7 months of every year leading tours off-road and is also the proprietor of Adelaide Tyre Repair, so has a fair knowledge of this issue. Definitely a bloke worth listening to on any bush or vehicle matter.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 497918

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 18:47

Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 18:47
good link Allan - interesting what Mick has to say about the safety issue... worth quoting here:

"The Safety Argument

The overwhelming thought against split rims is simply that they will blow apart one day and cause havoc. I haven’t had this problem at all since starting to run split rims on Land Rovers about 5 years or 150,000kms ago. In fact the incidents that are always mentioned about this subject are normally from large truck tyres and earthmoving or mining gear. Yes there have been fatalities, and you do need to be very careful, no arguments, but the reasons for these incidents can be traced back to the bloke doing something wrong, not the gear.

If SAFETY is behind all of this debate then why do most tubeless tyre users not think twice about bunging a plug or multiple plugs in the sidewall of a Radial tyre and heading off down the road for weeks and months at a time? Call me stupid but that seems to be a case of "the pot calling the kettle black" or double standards when it comes to safety. Have a look at the instructions for those plugs, where does it say or show you that they are for sidewalls & shoulders in Radial tyres? The short answer is that they don’t.

I have found that learning the correct methods and doing things the right way is the safest way to do things. After 750,000kms on narrow tubed tyres and now split rims, and having been involved with hundreds of tubeless tyres as well, I can honestly say I haven’t had too much trouble at all. Everything silly that has occurred could be traced back to something done poorly or not done at all to start with. I have not seen a split rim in my care fail at any time. Obviously the responsibility for these issues and more belongs to the driver/owner of the vehicle. Remember the old saying "only a bad tradesman blames his tools", it is true.

Connie has been in the desert with split rims since 1975 and has had no problems and Beadell Tours run five commercial trips every winter in the western deserts on split rims with thick heavy tyres. Connie & I have both survived, ring us up, we’ll answer the phone so it must be true. The upshot is after six months in the western deserts we drive home on the same tyres we left home with and we arrive home on time, plus we save money year after year.

Handled correctly all rims and tyres are very safe and reliable."
FollowupID: 773828

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 08:15

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 08:15
And Mick had not troubles telling us how bad every tyre is and don't spend over $130 as it's not needed...... we got this response when dropping one of Mick O tyres of for repairs.

The thing is with people who lead tours is and I'm not saying the are full of it but what I am saying is they have driven over the area and in most cases the same tyre tracks year in and year out so there chances of damaging a tyre is greatly reduced...... put them on virgin ground and it may be a different story.

As he says "Handled correctly all rims and tyres are very safe and reliable"

Mick is a knowledgeable guy and does a fantastic job at repairing tyres.

FollowupID: 773871

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:20

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:20
If it's Mick Hutton you are talking about......... he leads an "Expedition" at least once per year over "virgin ground" as well as extensive tours on tracks.

As you say, he is a knowledgeable bloke and I would think very carefully before challenging his expressions. Mick is not quick to speak out but worth listening to when he does. As a person whose livelihood depends on his vehicle's performance, including its tyres, he would be paying close attention to reliability, repairability, and cost/performance. And unlike some, he is not subsidised by sponsors.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 773881

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:42

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:42
Yeap.... he lives about 20 minutes from me, when we dropped one of Mick O Toyo's off for repair he was very vocal about wasting money on overpriced tyres.... him and the late Adam would of made interesting dinner guests.

I get more punctures driving our other vehicles on good sealed road then I do off roading...... except when we had Coopers fitted.... soft side walls.
FollowupID: 773892

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 18:40

Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 18:40
Yet for all this debate, I've been running split rims & tubes with BFG MT's on my 40 series for 8 years. In all that time along the AB Hwy (twice), Simpson, Rudall NP, CSR, Flinders multiple times, Corner Country mutiple times, Savannah Country, Connie Sue, Kimberly twice etc. etc. I've only had 2 flat tyres, and both of those were pulling into a Roadhouse or Petrol Station where I picked up rubbish (screws etc) on the hardstand .... go figure.
AnswerID: 497919

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 23:42

Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 23:42
Simple answer Scott, keep out of roadhouses and you'll have no trouble. LOL

p.s. Hope my 2002 Troopy lasts as long as yours. In fact I hope I last that long LOL.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 773853

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 19:18

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 19:18
Thanks Allen - I still don't know what you've got to do to kill a 40 series (apart from rolling them)....

Sadly, the 2nd flat was at a remote servo which I didn't need fuel from - just pulled in while one of my travelling companions got fuel - that'll teach me ;-)
FollowupID: 773915

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2012 at 22:59

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2012 at 22:59
In the 1980's I drove in to Yarrabah and had two flat tyres before I got to the top of the hill on the way out. Nails both times.
The road from Seisia to Bamaga was notorious too before it was sealed. It was badly corrugated in parts and nails used to shake loose from crates and pallets.
FollowupID: 774067

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 22:01

Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 22:01
Candace

Toyota still uses them because there are tyres that are used in some situations in four wheel driving that are so heavily constructed that it would be impossible to get them on and off a one piece rim in the bush by hand. I doubt if some could be removed and replaced even with a tyre changing machine.

The photo of the Nissan Patrol below was posted on this site a few years ago. The tyre is a 7.50 x 16 MRF Superlug cross ply with ZERO air pressure in it. The side walls are so heavy, the weight of the car is not enough to flatten them. Tyres like that are used extensively in the Outback, particularly for cross country work on the large stations.

The photo of the punctured tyre shows a typical bush puncture. I have seen punctures like that in remote Outback areas as well as coastal mountain tracks. You can not fix something like that with a plug kit. The tyre has to come off the rim in order to fit a large multi ply reinforced patch and most likely a tube.. If you are not capable of getting your tyres off a one piece rim yourself then a split rim will make it about 100% easier.

The safety aspect is not really an issue at all providing the wheel is not damaged or just about rusted away. The first photo below shows the removable rim in place. Note how the inner surface of it forms the seat for the tyre bead and is identical in shape to the other side of the rim. It simply stretches out like a circlip and snaps into a grove around the edge of the rim.

The second one shows the size of the grove and how the rim fits into it. When you inflate the tyre, the walls slowly slide out and can not exert any side pressure on the wheel until it contacts the sides of the rim on both sides. From that point on the walls will try and push out sideways against the edges of the wheel but there is no way in the world they are going to push that removable rim up out of its grove allowing it to fly off when the steel reinforced bead of the tyre is sitting directly on top of it. You could inflate the tyre until it burst and the rim would still stay in place.

It is a bit like placing a circlip into a grove on a gear box main shaft then placing a radiator hose clamp tightly on top of it. Now try and get the circlip out without removing the hose clamp. A split rim with a tyre bead sitting on top of it is exactly the same thing.

I have worked with split rims since my apprenticeship days in the 1960s. I have never had to put them into restraining cages, get an elephant to sit on them or run out 100 metes of air line so I could stand back a bit. They have been designed to be used safely and they are safe.

Problems with water and sand entry into split rims can be easily overcome with a little silicon roof and gutter sealer from a hardware store. Simply fill the hole around the tube stem and the gap in the removable ring then smear a tiny bead right around between the ring and the wheel.

AnswerID: 497925

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 01:49

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 01:49
LOL, yeah you're not fixing that puncture with a plug kit!

I'm impressed, those certainly are some thick sidewalls there.
FollowupID: 773864

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 08:08

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 08:08
Ask Willem what they were like in sand, I don't think he was impressed.
FollowupID: 773869

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 16:51

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 16:51
splits is Willem
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 773902

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 02:40

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 02:40
Thanks for all the information, now I understand why they chose the split rims. But you can be sure the tools needed to remove/install the tire weren't included with the Britz, LOL.

As for plug kits, unless it's a very simple nail hole in the tread, I've never viewed them as more than an emergency repair to get you someplace where you can obtain a new tyre!

I've never had to use my plug kit myself, but it helped someone else earlier this year. They didn't have a kit or a compressor and had punctured the sidewalls on two of their Land Rover tyres, LOL. Between my plug kit and a couple cans of Fix-A-Flat donated by another desert traveller, and several stops to add air with the compressor, we finally go them and their Land Rover to someplace they could get more assistance...Saline Valley warm springs =)

(Note the road described in the article wasn't the road the Land Rover had its mishap on; we were on the rougher "jeep trail" that leads in from the north ).

Incidentally, Lee's intermediate fix at the Springs was to dismount the tyre, drill a hole in the rim, and install a tube so they could drive out to Bishop, CA and buy two new tyres. ;)

Thanks again for the replies and links!
AnswerID: 497937

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:45

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:45
Britz use them as thats whats comes standard and won't spend anymore money than required on their vehicles.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 773883

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 11:04

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 11:04
And don't expect to find a compressor in a Britz either.
One pressure fitz all.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 773885

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:49

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:49
You can't plug and go a tyre with a tube.
FollowupID: 773893

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 05:30

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 05:30
ok some facts and myths

- myth, toyota split rims pose a hazard for re inflation - total BS ive researched this extensivly by both internet and asking people that change them NOONE has ANY first hand experience of a split rim popping off during reinflation - to the best of my knowledge it has NEVER happened . the myth comes about from a few fatalities involving HV split rims which construction has no resemblance to the toyota ones
- myth - you cant let split rims down , only partly a myth, splittys will go down to 12 psi no worries but they do get unreliable letting them right down when bogged compared to a one piece (ie under 12 psi)

myth - split rims are less reliable- again only partly a myth and the main issue is the cheap chinese tubes that get put in them nowadays, if you use good qality tubes they are no more or less reliable than 1 peice

the main advantage with split rims is lost to most users - its when doing crosscountry offtrack driving because split rims will take 12 ply pluss tyres which a 1 peice wont
AnswerID: 497940

Follow Up By: splits - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:50

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:50
" the main issue is the cheap chinese tubes that get put in them nowadays"

That reminds of a phone conversation I had with Mick from Beadells a few years ago. I have used Mchelin tubes for many years without any problems. I asked Mick what he uses expecting him to say MRF. He replied " heavy dute Chinese, not everything out of China is rubbish". They must have a few different grades of them up there.
FollowupID: 773884

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 11:34

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 11:34
He didn't happen to tell you how to tell the difference (other than price which often is no indicator lol) between the nice fresh oats and the stuff that has already been through the horse (;-))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 773887

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 11:51

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 11:51
Pop,
Mick considers that price has a bearing. He doesn't spell out brand & catalogue number, but take a look at what he has to say here.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 773889

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:14

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:14
the tubes im mtalking about come in a box and are called something like tyresrus (im guessing they just import them)

tyre places dont fix rubes any more just bung these ones in and charge you around $15 for the tube (which gives you some idea of quality)

the rubber compound its made of makes it extremely hard to get a patch to vulcanise to them even
FollowupID: 773890

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 13:59

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 13:59
LOL, the tubes I use in my bicycle tyres cost almost as much as those tubes!!
FollowupID: 773895

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 19:25

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 19:25
Not sure if they're cheap Chinese or cheap Korean - I was told the latter.

My father runs a similar set up as me on his 80 series - BFG MT's on split rims - up to our last trip, he had very few flats, then got 4 within 3 days and no sign of spiking! He'd asked the local mechanic to replace the tubes before the trip, turn out he could only source the Korean ones due to a shortage of Michelins ... lesson learnt !!!
FollowupID: 773916

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 22:34

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 22:34
Don't know if I would like to be using 12 ply tyres..... most cross country driving involves sand and even at zero pressure I don't think they would bag out that well.

Ply rating has very little impact overall on puncture resistance..... ply rating usually relates to weight carrying capacity
FollowupID: 773929

Follow Up By: Welldone WA - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 10:50

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 10:50
I don't think I'll use 12ply on split rims again. The ones I had on my old HJ45 and then transferred to the work/camp trailer had been all through the Kimberlies, across the original Gun Barrel Highway and the desserts of SA, countless other camping and fishing trips including severe deflation because of very soft sand and never got punctured.
But only lasted 14 years and 200K before they failed due to the tread letting go of the steel belts underneath.
The tread had at least another 300k of life left on them if they had lasted!

Cheers ;)
Welldone WA
FollowupID: 773945

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 10:54

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 10:54
Yair, fair enough Welldone, they sound like rubbish! LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 773946

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 18:32

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 18:32
Now this has been a blooby good discussion on 4WDing aspects. I sick of all the caravaning questions ambushing this site.!!!

Jeff
AnswerID: 497969

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 18:34

Monday, Nov 05, 2012 at 18:34
Woops............I meant Bloody

jeff
FollowupID: 773913

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 11:14

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 11:14
Trouper

I was drawn to this site because the blurb on the 'search' said it was a site for those interested in camping, 4wding and caravaning.

Please don't bag those poor souls (me) that are interested in camping and caravans as well as 4wding.LOL

And yes it is a good post,,, no-one going for the throat and good info.

FollowupID: 773949

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 14:00

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 14:00
BooBoo
I understand where your coming from but ExplorOz originally related to 4wding issues and I liked that way. I suppose one could say 'move on' and get over it, which i might do.

See Ya
FollowupID: 773956

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 11:10

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 11:10
On the matter the original poster raised about different pressures front and back.

It depends on the vehicle and how it is loaded.

if there is more weight on the rear axle than the front, it requires more pressure its that simple.

most pasenger cars ( station waggon 4wds may come into this group) have a pretty even weight distribution front and rear, so running the same tyre pressures front and rear may be appropriate.

BUT for example...hilux and landcruser utes carry most of the aditional load on the rear axle....laden and unladen the recommended front tyre pressure remains the same, but the rear tyre pressure is incerased considerably under the full load situation.

This is why when you are setting up your vehicle for a trip you need to weigh it and get seperate figures for each axle and then calculate the required pressure from the load V pressure tables.

As for the split rims debate...a lot of the discussion is emotional and the fact is most times they are relaced, is because of looks...although most will not admit it.

cheers
AnswerID: 498021

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 11:15

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2012 at 11:15
OH BTW....anybody look at what split rims fetch these days?

You can buy a good quality tubless steel rim for less that a good straight clean used split will fetch in the right place.

AND you will buy a nice aftermarket mag wheel for less that a new split rim.

Its easy to see why less 4wds come with them fitted these days...appart from the fact a lot of mine sites won't allow em any more.

cheers
FollowupID: 773950

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Thursday, Nov 08, 2012 at 19:39

Thursday, Nov 08, 2012 at 19:39
Bantam,
...".anybody look at what split rims fetch these days?"

sure do and on average splitsgo for about about $100 per set maximum

BTW I have about 20 in the shed at the farm

try to buy a good 80 or 105 series steel rim and they cost that much each minumum

sure you can buy crap quality aftermarket one piece rims on ebay for $112 each but no thanks
IFS rims are also worth next to nothing second hand .

from someone who over 12 months putting together a set of steels to replace factory mags on a 79 series ute .

cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 774138

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Nov 09, 2012 at 10:38

Friday, Nov 09, 2012 at 10:38
I supose it must depend on who is selling and who is buying and where the merket is.

I got $60 for a single split rim with a tyre with some legal tread on it no problems a while back & it was pretty average

I know of people getting $100 a piece for good clean splits with no tyres no problem at all.
A single toyota or nissan split from the dealer will be costing a few hundred.
If you can get a set of 4 freshies off a new vehicle with new rubber on them for under a grand you are doing very well

as for single piece.....you can buy good quality sunrasia style wheels for about $95 from reputable bricks and mortar dealers ( that is what I am running).....cheapeis can be had for as little as $60 but no thanks.

cheers
FollowupID: 774159

Sponsored Links